Queen’s sadness as Harry and Meghan won’t return to UK for Christmas

Prince Harry, his wife Meghan Markle and their son Archie will not return to the UK for Christmas, leaving the Queen missing spending time with her great-grandson.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had planned to come back for the holiday period to see the Royal Family.

However, after Meghan’s privacy trial – initially scheduled for January – was postponed until next autumn, they have chosen not to return, The Sunday Times reports.

After Harry and Meghan stepped down as senior royals in January, they moved to the US and spent lockdown there.

They now live in a £11m mansion in Los Angeles.

The Sussexes were expected to return to the UK for various family occasions such as Princess Beatrice’s wedding and the Queen’s birthday parade, but because of Covid-19 restrictions the events faced changes and the couple could not travel.

A spokesman for the couple said: “It is unlikely the Duke and Duchess will be travelling before the end of the year because the focus had been the trial in January.

“As that is no longer happening, there are no plans to travel at the moment, but any travel plans will be kept under review.

“They haven’t finalised any plans for what they are doing over the festive period, but Covid restrictions will need to be taken into account.”

The Queen, 94, and the Duke of Edinburgh, 99, have not seen their great-grandchild Archie for a year.

Prince Charles is also said to be sad for not being able to see his grandson for such a long time.

A friend said: “The Prince of Wales enjoyed popping into Frogmore Cottage to see his youngest grandchild and is sad that he hasn’t seen him for so long. He has missed much of his development since he is now growing up in the USA.

“Other members of the family are very sad at not seeing him. Everyone really misses Archie – they feel it’s particularly sad for the Queen and Prince Philip.

“Harry always said he looked forward to raising his family with William’s – which of course is not happening now.”

It comes as the Sunday Mirror revealed the Sussexes and Cambridges could meet at Brooklyn Beckham’s wedding in 2022 as they have all been invited to the celebration.

Victoria, 46, has got closer to Meghan this year after the Sussexes quit the UK for Hollywood.

A source revealed: “Vic’s been helping Meghan with her move to LA and Meghan has helped promote Victoria’s fashion line.

“But Vic’s been worried about inviting Meghan and Harry alongside Kate and William to the wedding.

“She is not only worried about how they all might feel about being thrust together but also at how the attention will no doubt be diverted off Brooklyn and Nicola.”